Our Smart Beginnings Coalitions
Smart Beginnings Southwest Virginia relies heavily on the leadership given by community leaders and volunteers who have a vested interest in Early Childhood Education. We are grateful for the time and effort these folks put into working with us to provide resources, advocacy, and professional development for the Southwest Region.
Scroll down to learn about the different coalitions working with Smart Beginnings Southwest Virginia.
Regional Leadership Council
This group serves the entire region and is responsible for creating the strategic plan that guides the work of Smart Beginnings Southwest Virginia. This group means every other month and is comprised of community leaders from across the region. Thank you all for your work with Early Childhood!
- Chair: Dr. Mike Robinson - Director, Linwood Holton Governor's School
- Nancy Bailey - Director, Family Preservation Services and City Council Member for Big Stone Gap
- Dan Minahan - Director of Operation, Crutchfield Corporation
- Chris Austin - Director, Smyth County DSS
- Linda Midgett - Director of Community Services, People, Inc.
- Catherine Brillhart - Member, Bristol City Council
- Kathi Roark - Executive Director, Child Advocacy Center
- Tom Casteel - Director, Regional DSS
- Travis Staton - CEO, United Way Southwest Virginia
- Lydia Landis - Coordinator of Health Services, People, Inc.
- Kim Sobey - Director, Bland County DSS
- Karen Shelton - Director, Mt. Rogers Health District
- Kathleen Kilgore - Child Development Specialist, Rooftop CAA
- Tony Isom - Director, Grayson County DSS
- Beth Cochran - Director, Elementary Ed, Wythe County Schools
Local coalitions are comprised of members from various agencies and organizations who work on behalf of young children in their communities. They meet every other month to share their work, make connections, solve problems, and improve public awareness of issues facing young children.